I am so proud of what I achieved in 2016, despite it not being a great year in News events. I had my first Son, who is the thing I am most proud of to date, I started this blog and was able to save money despite not being at work.
This year, I want my Resolutions to be about progressing forward. I’ve been quite stable and secure for a while now, so I would like to challenge myself that little bit more, and try and expand my horizons. That being said, here are my New Years Resolutions for 2016:
1. To lose weight – This is something most people – including me – say every year and usually fail within the first month or so. This year, I’d like to get back to my goal weight, which is what I was when I met my husband.
6 years ago I was a lot more petite and slender than I am now. I’ve always struggled with my weight, but around 7 years ago I made this same resolution and stuck to it, managing to lose around 3 stone. It was at this point I met my now-Husband. It’s always the same when you’re happy in a relationship; cosy nights in, snacks, takeaways etc, and my weight slowly crept up. After having our first son this year I’m at the heaviest I’ve ever been.
It didn’t bother me too much at first; I was enjoying being a new mom and looking after my baby, and I wasn’t in any hurry to lose any weight. I lost my baby weight, but it stopped there.
This year, I’d like to go back to a more regimented schedule, and lose the weight I’ve put on over the last 6 years. I know it’ll be hard, and I have a lot to lose, but I’m determined to make this work. Even if I can’t get back to what I weighed back in 2010, I’d like to get down to around 10 stone to feel more comfortable in myself.
2. To get a new job that pays more – Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. I’m an English teacher and it’s something I enjoy immensely; the kids are brilliant, the staff supportive and I enjoy where I am. That being said, there is hardly any room for progression where I am currently.
But, my family is growing and my bills are going up. Our current house is getting too small for our growing family, and I would like to save up in order to move somewhere bigger. Ideally I’d like to be able to get a promotion within my current school, but in all likelihood, I’m going to have to find a new position where the pay is greater.
Alternatively, I would absolutely love to monetise my blog, and find a way of earning money through this, without having to leave my current role in my current job. If I could find a way of successfully making money through writing a blog, I would be able to save this money in order to move house.
It’s probably a bit of wishful thinking, but as I thoroughly enjoy what I do here, if I could find a way of making this a more successful enterprise, I would be able to keep teaching st my current school.
3. To eat healthier – This pretty much goes hand in hand with the first resolution, however to lose weight I need to cut back on how much I eat and whatcha what I’m eating. With this resolution I want to make a more conscious effort to eat more fruit, vegetables and healthy foods. This means cutting out sugar, junk food and even caffeine.
I like cooking, and this year because I’ve been at home, I’ve been preparing a lot of meals from scratch. This is something I would like to continue when I go back to work, but using more healthy means to cook.
4. To learn a new skill – I’ve always wanted to play the piano, and I’d love to learn French or Spanish. I’m also quite fond of dancing, and would love to try Latin/Ballroom dancing or pole dancing, or something equally as exciting.
I think it’ll make me a more confident and well-rounded person to have something new under my belt; if I can get out of my comfort zone and meet other people who share a similar interest, I think I’ll be happier and less self conscious.
5. To save more money – There’s so much that I want to be able to do with my money, instead of wasting it on things I don’t really need; I’d love to save up a deposit for a new house. Me and my Husband have a three bedroomed house, but it’s proving to be too small with our son, and as we’re planning on having more children we’re going to need somewhere bigger. Ideally, I’d like to keep the house we have and rent it out, which means saving for a whole new deposit. I’d also like to take my Husband to Las Vegas for his 40th birthday. It’s not for 8 years, but I want to do it in style – first class flights, fancy suite in a hotel etc – which means I’m going to need to save quite a bit for it! I turn 30 in 2 years as well, and would like to go on an exotic holiday with my boys, and all this requires money.
6. To take up running – there’s something that’s always appealed to me about running. I like the idea of being able to put in my headphones, listen to music and just see where I end up. I’m a little self conscious about starting this whilst I’m still carrying baby weight. I’ll either do this in the pitch black when no one can see me, or I’ll wait until I’m a stone or so lighter before I start! I know I shouldn’t worry about what I look like, and that bigger people can run (‘blah blah blah’), but I personally would like to be a little lighter before I attempt this.
And those are your lot! Some of them are wholly unrealistic, and I know that they’re going to be incredibly hard to stick to, but I’d like to make a little progress towards my long term goals.
What are your New Years Resolutions for 2017?