It’s definitely the scariest and most exciting thing any expectant mother has to do – me included. I’ve finally finished packing my hospital bag ready for Baby number 2!
Just to give you a little background info; when Owen was born 5 weeks premature I spent a grand total of 11 days in hospital; 5 just after the birth due to various complications, and a further 6 days in TCU once he was released from the NICU in order to raise his birth weight.
Because of this, I found that a lot of things I needed had to be brought in from home in addition to what I’d already packed due to the amount of time I was admitted. Rob tended to bring in a lot for me each day; particularly things like clean clothes, books, toiletries etc.
This time around I’m under both consultant care for a premature labour and low birth weight from when Owen was born, and also specialist monitoring for various cervical issues that could contribute to a premature labour. I’m hoping to be cleared by both specialist and consultant for a water birth; if everything looks ok at my 38 week growth scan hopefully I’ll be given the all clear and can proceed with a more natural birth. Fingers crossed!
As a result I don’t know how long I’ll be in hospital for, so I’m making sure that I’ve got enough to last a few nights stay – just in case. So what’s in my bag for Baby number two? I’ve got a full list of everything I anticipate myself needing, as well as a few things I found invaluable the first time round. For any expectant mothers out there, I hope this helps!
- My maternity notes.
- A maternity bra suitable for a water delivery, plus a spare in case it’s needed.
- Two sets of Primark pyjamas, and a cheap night dress in case I have a Dr led delivery.
- Lip balm – invaluable for gas and air which made my lips horribly dry!
- Hair bobble and grips to keep my hair out the way.
- Mini shampoo and conditioner.
- Mini dry shampoo.
- Tangle Teezer.
- Mini shower gel.
- Mini body lotion.
- Mini Hand cream.
- Mini deodorant.
- Perfume sample.
- Mini toothpaste.
- Simple Face Cleansing Wipes.
- A travel face cream – I’m using a Clinique one that I had in a gift set for Christmas last year.
- Feminax hygiene wipes.
Post labour Essentials
- Maternity pads – I’m using the Kotex night pads as they are ridiculously absorbent.
- Lansinoh disposable nursing pads – so I don’t end up with any embarrassing wet patches on my clothes when my milk comes in!
- Size 1 nappies for newborn – I’ve got Sainsbury’s own brand as those are my personal favourites, but any brand will do.
- Nappy wipes – I’m using a 99% water wipe, but again it’s personal preference.
- An old towel.
- Old t-shirts and vest tops.
- Maternity leggings.
- Several pairs of black briefs from M&S – I’ve brought some high rise ones in case of a c-section, but also so my normal underwear isn’t ruined by any post labour bleeding.
- A pair of comfy leggings – sized up.
- A long-line vest top.
- Several newborn vests and outfits for babyNewborn mittens, socks and hat.
- Snacks – I have some cereal bars and some Snack-a-jacks.
- Phone and charger – As I have an iPhone 7plus I’m not bothering with my DSLR camera, as portrait mode is good enough.
- Headphones – in case I want to listen to Spotify or an audiobook/podcast.
- A reading book.
- A hot water bottle.
- Spare change for the car park.